Carolyn’s Garden

Carolyn’s Garden

Monday, August 10, 2015

Guemes Island at Sue Roberts' Studio

Approaching Guemes Island landing.
I am so glad that I decided to drive up early for our August 10th Anacortes Sketchers' outing! Missy kindly sent me a message about the rain, in case I wanted to wait until after lunch.

Our plan had been to walk on the 11:30am Guemes Island ferry (a 5 minute ride, sailing every half hour) and sketch on the beach while enjoying our own packed lunch. We had an appointment to visit artist Sue Roberts' studio after 1:00pm. I checked the weather and it looked like the rain would stop after 11:30, so I went early, as planned.

As you can see, it was still a bit overcast when I arrived at 11:15 am, but the rain had already stopped. Then I pulled over immediately after disembarking the ferry! Because here was a sweet little red "Gem" just waiting to be painted!
I thought this was the cutest, most colorful thing I would find on the island and set about sketching it immediately! (See my blog for more details, photos and early sketches)
Michele's sketch of the little red "Gem" at the ferry line shelter on Guemes.
Janice and Bonnie were outside on the patio at the General Store. After sharing our lunch, we took off to visit Sue in her studio. I was wrong about the colorfulness factor! This being my first time at Sue Roberts' Tower Arts Studio, I had no idea what wonders awaited me!
We got a tour of the studio from top to bottom and all around the grounds. Then we set to work.
So many choices of subject matter, both inside and out!
We tucked a couple of Sue's ceramic pieces in with all our afternoon sketches. Thanks to Annette for climbing to new heights for a great shot!
I stayed as late as I could to finish my sketches inspired by the afternoon at Sue's Tower Arts Studio. Color added at home.
Then, Sue gave us hot crab dip, chips, cool beverages and a homemade chocolate apple cake made just for us by Janice. Yum! Thank you, Sue, for an inspirational, fun and colorful summer retreat!

No comments:

Post a Comment